With the rising age of internet & IoT convergence, its hard to imagine our world without internet today. Whereas one of the most common platform you might visit everyday are the websites. Have you ever wondered why each website looked different? & who might design them? or how they functioned in a certain way? If you did then knowing what are web developers? And what do they actually refer with a full-stack, front-end or back-end development? Is one of the most essential aspect of learning this skill. Let’s solve this mystery right away!
Web developer are the programmers who specializes in the development of websites and web applications. These application run over HTTP(Hyper text transfer protocol) from a web server to a web browser. To construct a website there are three primary types of web development based on the distinct sections of the website as follows:
- Front end development (comprises visible parts of a website, webpage, or app)
- Back end development (involves back ground management of all databases & give functionality to the website)
- Full-stack development (a hybrid constituting both front-end & back-end development).
Here we’ll explore the differences between Full-stack, front-end & back-end web development role, their skills, and how much salary these developers recieve annually? Ready to rip this tech mystery off?Let’s do it then.
What is a Front End Developer?
In simple terms, Front-end web development also known as client-side development deals with all the work regarding the face of your website. It designs how your website will look or interact with the users.
Skills You Need to Become a Front-end Developer
Though there are many coding languages in the market, but front end web developers use three primary coding languages to construct websites or web app designs provided by the web designers:
Front-end developers write codes inside the user’s web browser that is also known as the client-side; on the other hand back-end developers write codes that run on the server-side with the help of open-source runtime environments such as Node.js or programming languages like Python.The average salary of Front-end developers ranges between ₹3 Lakh to 6 Lakh per annum.
What is a Back-end Developer?
As stated above Back-end Development comprises all the things going on in the server-side development of the website. In this type of web development, the software engineer focuses majorly on the databases, scripting & website architecture of the project. Back-end developer codes for all ‘behind-the-scenes’ activities that function when you perform any action on the website. Whether it’s about logging into your account or clicking a simple Next button on your online quiz. Codes written by experienced back-end developers make all those sites function by establishing a link between the browsers & the stored database information yielding the specified result.
Skills You Need to Become a Back-end Developer
- Complete knowledge of Web Development Languages
- Knowledge of Databases and Caches
- Server Accessibility
- APIs (such as REST & SOAP)
Web Development Languages comprise all the server-side or Backend programming languages such as Java, Python, Ruby, .Net, etc.
Database and Cache utilization are some of the most important Backend developer skills that any server-side creator should hold expertise in. DBMS like MySQL, MongoDB, Oracle, SQLServer, Redis are some of the widely used databases in today’s market. Whereas, knowledge of caching mechanisms like varnish, Memcached, Redis is an added bonus that leads you towards a higher paying job as a back-end developer in an IT firm.
Server implies the exposure of web developers towards handling Apache, Nginx, IIS servers, Microsoft IIS. It is one of the desirable skills in a Back-end developer for establishing a good background that works on all platforms. Linux helps tremendously in administering servers.
API (REST & SOAP): It implies the knowledge of web services or API (also important for full stack developers).
Other qualities to be required in a back-end developer for hiring are as follows:
- Working experience of frameworks like Django for Python, Larval for PHP, etc are must.
- Ability establish useful unit tests
- Ability to form algorithms and data structures.
- Awareness of security concerns since each layer has its vulnerabilities & bugs to be reported.
- Able to differentiate between multiple delivery platforms like mobile vs. desktop platforms.
- Basic idea about the front-end techs like HTML and CSS is a plus.
- Ability to manage sessions in a distributed server environment..
The average salary of a Back-end developer ranges between ₹ 2.0 Lakhs to ₹ 20.5 Lakhs annually.
What is a Full-stack Developer?
A full-stack developer is a software engineer who manages both front-end and back-end portions of a website or application. They tackle the entire web creation of any project involving databases, APIs, building user-friendly websites, or even working with the clients during the designing phase of the project. They manage both client-side and server-side panels of any web portal.
Make sure any full-stack developer must be aware of the following aspects of the website creation:
- Specialized, in a particular back end programming language, like Ruby or PHP or Python or more than one can be a plus point.
- Since, “full stack Ruby developers” are always in extra demand make sure you closely know the working structures of Ruby.
- Knowledge of project management, visual design, web design, or user experience skills turns a usual full stack developer into a ‘desirable’ full stack developer.
Top Skills You Need to Become a Full-stack Developer
Since you’ll be managing a mix of both front and back-end development. Responsibilities mentioned for the hiring of full-stack web developer in any IT firm, demand following skill sets in a professional full stack developer:
- Knowledge of one or more third-party libraries such as React or Angular
- Acquainted with languages & libraries like Ruby, PHP or Python..
- Expertise in databases, like MongoDB, SQL, MySQL
- Ability to handle Version control like Git.
- Acquainted with web or visual design, plus user experience best practices.
The average salary of any full stack developer ranges between 12 to 14 Lakhs annually.
Like a bureaucratic person, I would say each developer is equally important for the web developmental process. But, if you really wanna know who won the battle of skill sets between Full-stack developer V/s Front-end developer V/s Back-end developer then it’s definitely the full-stack development section, as they do manage both the ends individually. Yet their hiring cost & expertise plays a major role in the process of website or app development. Not every full stack developer could beat the other front & back–end developer in their experience for sure!
Hence, if you need some professional advice & aid in diverse forms of software upgradations, web or app development then ping us at Adequate Infosoft Pvt. Ltd. Don’t worry we never judge between our developers. It’s just a healthy competition to yield a precise product that makes our client happy!